Home       All Pages Index        Search        Membership         Donate           Memorial          Roll of Honour

  They Also Served      Notice Boards       Books       External Links        FAQs       About Us         Contact Us


Memorial donations of around £27,500 funded construction, dedication and routine ground maintenance in perpetuity.

  Donate here to a small contingency fund to repair and maintain the memorial structures as and when required.

HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L).

A Landing Craft and Troop Carrier with Distinguished Service including D Day

HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)Background

HMS Glenearn was a class of WW2 vessels known as Landing Ship Infantry (Large), LSI (L). The purpose of this class of vessel was to carry large numbers of fully armed troops and Landing Craft Assault (LCAs), that would carry them on the last few miles to the landing beaches.

[Photos of Glenearn courtesy of Myles Sutherland.]

The LSI(L)s are often referred to as 'mother ships' because of their 'brood' of LCAs, 24 in the case of the Glenearn, all securely fixed to davits ready to be lowered, fully laden, into the water like a modern lifeboat. Since an LCA typically carried around 35 men and some craft would return for a second load of troops, the Glenearn could well carry around 1,500 men. HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)

There were 3 invasion forces in the British/Canadian Eastern Task Force, one each for the Sword (S), Juno (J) and Gold (G) landing beaches and two in the American Western Task Force for Omaha (O) and Utah (U). HMS Glenearn and the Empire Battleaxe both attended Sword beach. The Glenearn was a converted, 16 knot, cargo liner of about 10,000 tons.

Having successfully delivered their first assault troops onto their designated beaches, the  LCAs returned to their mother ship, or any other troop carrying vessel they were directed to, where they were either hoisted on board or came alongside to take on their next 30+ troops to their designated landing beaches. There were other types of landing craft, described elsewhere, that journeyed across the English Channel, under their own power, to disembark their "cargos" of men, equipment and supplies, directly onto the beaches.


Telegraphist, George Downing served on HMS Glenearn. His job was to send and receive Morse code radio signals.

He recalled that a muster of all the troops and the ship's crew was called on June 4th, when we were told about our mission and the landings. Thereafter, the ship was sealed, which meant no one, except a post man escorted by a senior officer, could leave the ship. We were told that the airborne troops were to parachute behind enemy lines an hour before the beach landings, primarily to disable enemy shore batteries."

On June 5th, the day before the D-Day landings, the sea between the Isle of Wight and the English mainland, the Solent, was brim full with hundreds of ships of all types and sizes. HMS Glenearn was the last to leave dock at 9pm and witnessed the spectacle as she steamed to her allotted position for the passage to Normandy. The landings were due to commence at 5am the next day. The above map shows the numbers of men who were transported to the beaches on D-Day and the position of the beaches visited by the Glenearn during the following 6 weeks. 

HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)George continues; "As we approached the Normandy beaches, we saw many Landing Craft Tank (LCTs) and Landing Craft Tank (Rocket) ( LCT(Rs) firing their salvos of exploding missiles to soften up the German beach defences before the landings commenced.

[Left; the two flotillas of 12 LCAs each which HMS Glenearn carried. Admiralty's 'Green List' for June 5, 1944.]

After we disembarked our troops that fateful morning, we picked up the first of the wounded soldiers and returned them to Southampton for hospital treatment. We then urgently embarked more troops to reinforce those already landed. Without a constant supply of men, ammunition, vehicles and supplies, the advancing invasion force would stall, giving the enemy time to regroup for a counter attack.

Glenearn could carry 1,500 plus soldiers and was ideally suited for ferrying duties between the UK and Normandy. We witnessed death and destruction on the landing beaches, far too graphic to describe here. But the most poignant incident occurred on the quayside in a line of American GIs waiting to embark; one of them took his own life rather than face his worst nightmares in France.

I also recall making a fast overnight crossing of the English Channel in the company of our sister ship HMS Glengyle, with the frigate HMS Starling as escort. On another homeward trip, we met up with HMS Warspite, in the process of returning to the beaches to give more support to the troops, after having her gun barrels replaced. Her gun turrets were later placed at the entrance to the Imperial War Museum in London as a fitting and lasting tribute."

Rear Admiral Arthur G Talbot, senior officer Force 'S' (Sword Beach) on D-Day.D-Day Aftermath

HMS Glenearn's ferrying duties continued for around 6 weeks, during which time all the main beaches in France were supplied by her. However, with increasing use of the Mulberry Harbours and captured French ports, the demand for beach landings diminished and the Glenearn was recalled to Greenock on the River Clyde near Glasgow.

[Rear Admiral Arthur G Talbot, senior officer Force 'S' on D-Day. © IWM (A 21718).]

The crew were given only 4 days leave, which was insufficient time for a major refit. Since the crew never knew in advance what the next operation was, there was speculation that the ship was being prepared for similar duties on the French coasts, possibly in the Mediterranean. However, when the ship's company returned to duty, the Glenearn was freshly painted in Pacific camouflage. They were destined for the war in the Far East!

The next day, Rear Admiral Talbot thanked the crew for their past efforts and outlined what was in prospect for them. A new flotilla had been formed for a journey to the Far East, comprising landing ships, Empire Battleaxe, Broadsword and Cutlass. With other vessels including Glenearn, the flotilla was collectively known as Force X and it was leaving for New York at 6pm that night!

Map of Australia showing area of HMS Glenearn's Pacific Operations.Pacific Assignment

The journey across the Atlantic was uneventful. On arrival in New York, additional supplies and communication equipment were loaded. Prior to departure, around nine hundred American troops were embarked. George recalls, "While this was going on, we had time for sightseeing, although most of the fleshpots were out of the reach of the British servicemen’s pay! However, we did take in such sights as the Stage Door Canteen, Radio City and the Empire State building, which were freebees."

The task force set off for the Pacific Ocean with an escort of US vessels. However, the flotilla was forced to take shelter for 24 hours in the Charleston US Navy base, to avoid an approaching hurricane, before resuming the passage to Colon and the Panama Canal. From the outset, fresh water was strictly rationed for drinking purposes only. Frequent stops were made to replenish supplies, including Bora Bora in the middle of the vast Pacific Ocean. From there, the flotilla visited islands recaptured from the Japanese.

HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)Troops were disembarked at Langemak on the New Guinea coast and at the forward base in Hollandia, also in New Guinea, where the flotilla joined the US 7th  Fleet. "After inspection of our ships and landing craft, our American cousins deemed them unfit for the task of landings on the Pacific beaches. We were not very pleased at being relegated to the task of moving troops and supplies (see correspondence below from Frank Mordecai on this subject), although Glenearn was made 'Commodore of Convoys' on a number of operations, including the on-going battle in the North Phillipines' Lingayen Gulf."

[Right; photo of George Downing aged 19.]

George continues, "Back in our base at Lae in New Guinea, we received orders to proceed to Milne Bay and Cairns on Australia's eastern coastline, where the 7th Australian Infantry Division required training for possible amphibious landings on Borneo. From mid October to late December 1945, mock landings were made on beaches between Cairns and Townsville, including Trinity Bay, Fitzroy Island, Palm Island and Treger. The docks at Cairns were too shallow for the Glenearn, so we acted independently from Townsville. Enemy submarines could not safely navigate their way through the Great Barrier Reef, so we sailed with all lights blazing, often on the upper deck, to enjoy the balmy evenings.

We enjoyed a well earned rest in Sydney before returning to Manus Island in New Guinea. We then sailed with HMAS Nizam and HMAS Norman to deliver supplies to the British Pacific fleet. En route, the forward petrol tank exploded and 28 men, including the second in command Chief engineer, sustained horrific burns. Two seamen were trapped in the lower decks and the hatches had to be locked in order to save the ship. It took a good forty eight hours for the fires to be cooled down before the bodies could be recovered and buried at sea.

The stench of burnt human flesh lingered for many days. All the casualties required urgent medical attention, so we diverted to Hollandia in the hope of finding a hospital ship. It was not to be, so the men were transported by ambulance over very rough, makeshift roads to an inland field hospital. Sadly, the men, who by then had endured so much, succumbed to their injuries and were buried in the Australian forces cemetery in the jungle at Finschhafen.

HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)Back at Manus, repairs and adaptations to our ship were identified, so we steamed for Melbourne, via Sydney for repairs at Williamstown, a suburb of the city. The work would prepare the ship for the transportation of men and materials to the fleet at sea. During this period, VE (Victory in Europe) day had been celebrated and some older members of the crew, due to be demobbed, were transported to Brisbane for onward passage home.

[Photo; HMS Glenearn pennant with photo of Petty Officer, Jack Holland, who served on the ship.]

The war in the Pacific was also drawing to a close, when we received orders to proceed with haste to Hong Kong, in order to validate the British influence in the colony. After arriving there, we picked up Australian prisoners of war (POWs) from the Chinese island of Hainan, using a group of smaller craft and a hospital ship. They were all in a very bad way. Since most of them were from Melbourne, we had high hopes of transporting them back home. However, by this time, HMS Victorious was collecting large numbers of prisoners and we transferred our consignment to them.

Our next duty took us to Shanghi, this time to embark British civilian POWs. They were in much better condition than the Australian troops and we had expectations of transporting them back to the UK but, in Colombo, Ceylon (Sri Lanka), we transferred them into the charge of another vessel. With unrest in Indonesia, our destiny saw us carry Indian military personnel to the country, to quell brewing trouble between the republicans and the authorities and, on the return trip to Columbo, we repatriated Dutch refugee POWs.

From there, we steamed to the Royal Navy base at Trincomalee in Ceylon. There we learned that HMS Glenearn was to serve as the Senior Naval Officer's establishment in Kure, Japan and a base for a naval party tasked to rebuild a communication centre. Kure was a former Japanese naval base,+ which suffered after effects from the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima some twelve miles away. At this point, my demob papers were up and I sailed back to Hong Kong, demob on HMS Houge and onwards to Blighty (affectionate name for England)."

HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)Wireman Frank Mordecai takes up the story of what he regarded as a wasted mission.

"I was the wireman attached to the Royal Marine LCA flotilla, aboard the starboard side of HMS Glenearn. My 90 year old memory cannot recall the flotilla number.

After extensive training and the D-Day landings, HMS Glenearn and other LSIs were sent to help in the South Pacific campaign. Despite our background and experience, the 7th US Fleet considered us unsatisfactory for assault landings and relegated us to troop carrying. This, we dutifully carried out for a few months.

Becoming surplus to their requirements, the personnel of the LCA flotilla were then shipped back to Blighty on HMS Empire Battleaxe (Photo below). We felt it was such a waste of time and effort for trained and battle-hardened LCA crews to have no purpose in the Pacific theatre, although we were pleased to be returning home.

HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)We concluded, in later discussions at the local branch of the LST and Landing Craft Association, that General MacArthur and his hierarchy considered the South Pacific to be their own private war and resented the involvement of other Nations, even the Aussies. However, I have a personal reason to be thankful for the decision to send us home. My mess deck was adjacent to the petrol tank on the Glenearn which exploded after our departure!"

[Returning to the UK in 1945 on board HMS Empire Battleaxe.]

Further Reading

There are around 300 books listed on our 'Combined Operations Books' page which can be purchased on-line from the Advanced Book Exchange (ABE) whose search banner checks the shelves of thousands of book shops world-wide. Type in or copy and paste the title of your choice or use the 'keyword' box for book suggestions. HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)There's no obligation to buy, no registration and no passwords. Click 'Books' for more information.


Hi Geoff

I came across your very informative website whilst searching for further information about my father's service history for my grandson who is planning a service career. My father's name was Frank Ernest Shaw, he served in the Royal Marines and was on HMS Glenearn during the Pacific Assignment.

As I only have one photograph of my father from during his service years, you can imagine how surprised and delighted I was to see him in a photograph on the HMS Glenearn page; the photograph was sent to you by Grantley Kingscott. I have attached it, I hope it is OK for me to do this. My father is the fourth from the left as you look at the photograph, the one with his hands on the shoulders of the man in front of him.

HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)I have also attached the only photograph that I have of my father from this time, he is the one on the left, again as you look at the photograph; I have no idea who the other two servicemen are, but if anyone knows them, I would be really pleased to find out.

Kindest regardsEmail button.

Sandra Ruddock

I have just read, with special interest, your web page on HMS Glenearn written by George Downing. My dad, Alan Street, served with George on the Glenearn. After the war they regularly kept in touch with each other and, as far as I can remember, the families used to visit each other over bank holidays.

The last time I saw George was about 10 years ago at my parent's house. In his story he mentioned an explosion in the Pacific. My dad was one of the crew who suffered burns and spent a lot of time in Australia and then New Zealand in hospitals but, nonetheless, he learned to drive whilst over there.

Sadly my dad died the day before his 90th birthday. So much history gone. I hope if George or his family read this, they will get in touch.

RegardsEmail button

Paul Street

Hi Geoff,

My father, WOII Alan Braby was evacuated from Navplion in Greece to Souda Bay, Crete on the 25/26th April 1941 upon the "Glenearn". He was a quarter master with the 6th Australian General Hospital (later the 2/6th AGH). They were to load some valuable medical and surgical stores aboard the "Ulster Prince". This fell thru when the "Ulster Prince" became grounded and could not be refloated, As it was getting late and the last ships were leaving most of these stores had to be jettisoned in the water and Dad and his comrades went on the "Glenearn" instead. Dad in his letter to his future bride (my Mum) said it was ironic to be evacuated by an "invasion" ship! Dad died 4 years ago at the age of 96. I am just reading his letters and matching up photos in 3 albums with events. Dad wrote to Mum....

 "Our movement orders came at 10 o’clock that night and we marched silently down the wharf at Navplion, a deserted town, thousands of soldiers filled the town in the precincts of the wharf and then we knew the navy was in charge for out of the chaos came order.  We  were loaded quietly and efficiently on to the barges and taken out to our boat (HMS Glenearn), a special troop carrier built for “invasion” purposes (irony).  However all was not plain sailing for we came on several men swimming in the water, the barge on which they were had been capsized by a destroyer (or a corvette) bumping into it, We heard about twenty men were drowned in the confusion.

Once on board we were given a cup of tea and we just fell asleep where we were standing,  It was stiffling on board but we had very few clothes and carried nothing so we didn’t care a hang.  The boat put out at four.  We arrived in Crete at 4pm the next day with only one air raid  of no consequence." 

 Great to know the Glenearn went on to have an illustrious service career. Sorry no photos but there is paragraph or two in the Unit history that describes how various urgent operations were carried out on board ship by the doctors and nurses but by midnight of the 25th all patients were comfortable There were 31 stretcher cases and 12 walking wounded. They arrived at Souda Bay at 1600 hours on the 26th of April. As you know the 25th is ANZAC day so yesterday (25/4/2020) is 79 years since the Glenearn carried my Father to safety (well relative to Greece!)

 Tim Braby

I served on HMS GLENEARN from the 30 October 1943 until the beginning of April 1945. She carried 2 Royal Marine flotilla’s numbered 535 consisting of 12 LCA’S (on davits) and 543 consisting of 12 LCAs (on davits) and 3 LCM’s carried on deck, 2 on the fore well deck and one on the after well deck.

I was a member of the 535 flotilla. In the early days Glenearn carried 535 and 536 Flotillas, not too sure of dates but 535 and 536 flotillas, along with 537, 538 and 539, left Dartmouth Naval College where we had been doing seamanship courses. The ’Stokers’ then went to Nth Wales for their course and later we were all bought together at Fort George? NE of Inverness in Scotland as two flotillas. We then sailed our LCAs through a small section of the Caledonian Canal to Inverness where we were billeted in the Cameron Barracks until the 30 October 1943. HMS Glenearn then sailed into the Moray Firth and picked up the two flotillas - 536 took the port side and 535 took the starboard side davits. After a few days, 536 flotilla was transferred to the Empire Cutlass.

Early in November 1943, 535 Flotilla was put ashore at HMS BRONTOSAURUS in the Clyde estuary. HMS Glenearn then entered Rosyth Naval Dockyard on the River Forth to have her hoisting hooks modified as they were found to be unsafe during earlier ‘exercises’ near Cromarty, while getting ready for D Day. Weather wise, the D Day landings were comparatively easy as compared to the bad winter of 1943 off the  coast of NE Scotland. After Normandy, HMS Glenearn, carried a ‘Beach Party’ of RN Commandos and a small helicopter for forward scouting in the Pacific. HMS Glenearn was quite a happy ship as I recall.

Jack Eaves,


Click on PDFs/'X' FORCE.pdf for a fuller version of Jack's story.

Dear Geoff

HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)My father, Norman James Kingscott who, unfortunately, passed away last new years eve, served on HMS Glenearn during the war. He never really told us much about his service but we knew he served on the Glenearn on D-day and also went to the Pacific. Since his passing, I have been trying to find out more and came across a photo of him on your site. He is the 3rd from the left in the back row. It was a real treat for us to find the photo. [The group photo below.]

After going through some of his things I also found this Christmas Day menu from 1944 that I thought may be of some interest to you.

Grantley Kingscott.


HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)Since I contacted you in 2017 about my dad's service on HMS Glenearn, Tony Collingwood, who served alongside my dad on the Glenearn, contacted me. He sent me some photos of himself with my dad together with details of when they first met and their D-day story (Copied below). I was very pleased as dad never told us anything and we had never seen any photos of him taken during his wartime service in the Marines .

I have attached the photos and the D-day story as I thought that it may be of some interest to you. The first photo shows Dad with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. The second photo dad is back right.


Grantley Kingscott (Nov 2020).

Norman Kinscott and Tony Collingwood’s D-Day, HMS Glenearn and LCA 896

Tony joined HMS Glenearn in Greenock, Scotland. There were concerns about being torpedoed while they travelled down the west coast from Scotland to Dartmouth. Tony had trained as a Royal Marine Commando, but with D-Day approaching, they were short of landing craft crew, so he was chosen to be a Coxswain.

During training at Dartmouth Royal Naval College, the crews of four were picked for the LCAs (Coxswain, Stoker and two crew). This is when Tony first remembers meeting Norman, who became the LCA's Stoker/Mechanic in charge of the engine room.

They trained around the towns and villages on the south coast at Blackpool (a village on the south coast) and Slapton Sands. They also trained in the English Channel during the night, escorted by MTB’s. Included in this training was a night out crewing a much larger Tank Landing Craft. HMS Glenearn was their mother ship for many weeks prior to D-Day and was anchored off the Isle of Wight near Cowes.

Tony remembers sleeping through the night before D-Day, but, afterwards, he wished he had stayed awake to see the allied aircraft flying overhead on bombing runs and to drop paratroops. On arrival, a few miles off Sword Beach, the soldiers climbed into LCA 896 for the 60 minute to Sword Beach. Their landing craft was part of the initial assault force and, was, therefore one of the earliest to land on Sword Beach at 07.30 hours. 

As they made their way to Sword Beach, they saw the Norwegian Destroyer, HNoMS Svenner, being torpedoed by German E-boats out of Le Havre. The Destroyer was their escort and had it not been in the way, the torpedoes would have hit the landing craft - a very lucky escape for Tony and Norman!. The Destroyer was struck amidships, exploded, broke in two and sank very quickly. (more detail to be found on Wikipedia).

Tony didn’t land at the designated site on Sword Beach due to anti-tank obstacles in the water with explosives attached. He advised the officer in charge of the soldiers his plan to manoeuvre further to the right where there was a tank landing craft with two Sherman Tanks still aboard. It was beached but, due to a damaged door, the tanks were unable to disembark. However, they did the next best thing by firing at the German positions. Tony pulled his LCA alongside so that the men could be landed right onto the beach with only their feet getting wet. He also remembers giving covering fire with a Bren Gun.

One of the soldiers disembarking from the LCA was shot in the mouth so, although they were told not to take any casualties back, the crew dragged him back onto the LCA for treatment on the Glenearn.

As they turned the LCA around, a broken down/damaged LCA hailed them for assistance. Tony turned down their request to take them in tow due to rough seas and the safety of his own crew, but he took them aboard 896 for transport to HMS Glenearn.

Tony, Norman and the crew were safely back on HMS Glenearn, but they were then put on a charge for eating their rations! This entailed presenting themselves in full marching gear and rifles and made to stand to attention – 5pm on D-Day!!

HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)Hello Geoff,

I found your site while looking for information about HMS Glenearn, the ship that carried my uncle, Allan McDonald to freedom in Hong Kong while being repatriated to Australia as a POW in September 1945. I was young at the time of his passing and the family rarely spoke of his time in service, so my knowledge is limited. I believe he was HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)captured on Ambon and later transferred to Hainan from where he was liberated and then repatriated. On reaching Hong Kong, he transferred to HMS Vindex to complete his journey home to Australia. Opposite, is a letter home he wrote onboard the Glenearn, together with a couple of photos. In the group photo of the 2nd 12th Field Ambulance, he is third from the left in the 2nd front row, in the dark pullover.


Bob Malloy

Newcastle, Australia.

Hello Geoff,

This is coming to you from Auckland, New Zealand.

In your section dealing with HMS Glenearn, George relates that in 1945 the Glenearn steamed to Shanghai to pick up British civilian POWs, dropping them off in Columbo “into the charge of another vessel.”  I can verify that.

Between the ages of six and eight and a half I was, with my parents, interned in G Block, Longhua camp, a few miles south of Shanghai.  Just along the corridor was a teenager, Jim Ballard, who, in later life, became a well-known novelist and author of Empire of the Sun, loosely based on his experiences there.

In ( I believe) September 1945 we boarded HMS Glenearn, a ship that was to take us part way back to the UK.  We were accommodated in the rear hold, ventilation being provided by a canvas tube slung from the rear mast.  Accompanying us in case one or other ship hit a mine was a frigate (possibly the Plym, later blown up in the Monte Bello Islands A-bomb test).  First stop was Hong Kong which only a month or two earlier had passed from Japanese to British control.  I remember going ashore in one of the ship’s landing barges, finding the business district still strewn with rubble.  From there to Singapore where we were visited by and photographed with Lady Mountbatten.  Finally on to Columbo.  The Indian Ocean however was rough and the largely empty ship was tossed around like a cork.  In fact I recall being told one of the landing barges had been washed away.  As for me, I was seasick from the time we left the shelter of Sumatra to the time we arrived in Columbo.

From Columbo we were scheduled to go straight to Southampton.  But because I had been so sick, my parents secured permission to remain in Columbo for a fortnight, giving me time to recover.   The ship on which we left Columbo was the much larger Athlone Castle, packed with servicemen returning from the East.

From 1947 to 1951 I was again in Hong Kong.  The Glenearn, now in civilian garb, used to come into the harbour from time to time, clearly visible from the Star Ferry which I used daily to get to school.  Your photos of the ship in its two quite different roles brought back many memories.  But it all seems so long ago.

With kind regards,

John Phillips

Hello Geoff,

I read with interest your article on HMS Glenearn. My 97 year old Dad, Robbie Clark, remembers the ship as the one that evacuated him from Souda Bay, Crete just before the German invasion. He says it was the last ship to leave. I wonder if anyone knows when this evacuation happened. My Dad was taken prisoner at Tobruk on 21st June 1942 and together we're trying to work out the timeline of these momentous events in his life.

Email button.Kind regards


Hello Geoff, 

I have just alighted on your HMS Glenearn web page. My father, Edward ("Ted") Telling, also came off Crete on the Glenearn. I remember him saying that he got off on the last ship to leave.  He was in the RA (Service No. 919569).  He recorded some comments for the IWM. I believe the evacuation took place late May 1941.

Coincidentally, one of our neighbours from many years ago, Derek Walker, was an officer on the Glenearn at the time of the evacuation.

Best Wishes, 

John Telling

HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)Hello Geoff

I was surprised and delighted to find that the page about HMS Glenearn includes a photograph with my father in it. Most of his war service is still just an outline of events such as his time on HMS Glenearn. Your website was able to answer some questions about what he did and why he was transferred off Glenearn in Townsville to HMS Empire Battleaxe. The photograph of the group of men from HMS Glenearn onboard the Empire Battleaxe shows my father, Frank White, in the centre front. He was a shipwright involved in building landing boats for D-Day and once that job was completed, he entered the navy as a Petty Officer.

Thank you for creating such an informative website.

Best wishes

Dr Hilary J Davies

Hello Geoff,

My wife and I have only just found your excellent website, when “ surfing “ for anything relating to HMS Glenearn during WW2. Previous attempts resulted in us missing the site, inexplicably.

The reason for our search is that my wife’s late father served on this vessel and others ( possibly HMS Empire Battleaxe ), particularly on D-Day and thereafter. He was Cpl. Bert Townsend, R.M. and he is the one on the right of the photo taken in New York, as referred to by Mr. Derek Bingham in his article (immediately below). We knew it was Bert as soon as we saw the photo, and his wife, who happily is still going strong at nearly 85 years of age, has now found a print of the same photo amongst a host of family photos.

HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)Bert was born in Plymouth in 1924. He sadly passed away back in 1999. On about the only occasion that I ever got him to talk about WW2, he told me that he did his training in several places, most notably Barmouth, and he reeled off several places he visited with the Glenearn after D-Day, including New York, the Panama Canal and Bora Bora, as well as Sydney I believe. However, he would not talk about D-Day itself, other than to say that he was a Landing Craft Coxswain. Our generation can barely imagine what it must have been like. After demob, Bert soon became a Police Officer and retired after the full stint in the Force. He then worked in Local Government before enjoying retirement. [Photo; Bert, 5th from the left in back row, in training prior to D-Day.]

We are looking at some diaries that Bert left, and if anything of interest comes from those we will offer it for addition to the website. Quite frankly, it has been remiss of us not to have done this years ago, but better late than never !

Congratulations on a fascinating site.

Myles Sutherland

HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)Hello Geoff,

First of all I would like to congratulate you on your wonderful website. I am writing to you concerning my father Alexander Bingham CHX 112104. He served on HMS Glenearn and possibly Empire Battleaxe too. We have a number of items from his time on Glenearn and on leaving the forces including a concert programme from the ship entitled the guinea pigs, a Crossing the Line (equator) certificate, his kit bag (he wrote on his bag all the places he sailed toHMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)), his belt, a credit slip for wages etc. My mother certainly HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)remembers well going to Greenock to wave him goodbye but she recalls that on that occasion he joined the HMSHMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L) Battleaxe. My father took part in the nautical phase of the D Day landings and always spoke of the shear scale of the event. Sadly my father is no longer with us but I feel, through your great site, I have found out so much more about his war exploits. All the best to you.

Derek Bingham

HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)[Right and left is a selection of photos of items mentioned in Derek Bingham's letter. Please contact us if you recognise anyone in the last photo taken in a New York photograph studio  in August 1944. Alexander Bingham is on the left.]



HMS Glenearn; Landing Ship Infantry (Large) - LSI (L)Dear Geoff,

After going through my deceased mother's war  memories, I found this card and in following it up on the Internet I found your fascinating website. My mother lived in Townsville on the north east coast of Australia and helped as much as she could in the war effort. The card was probably an admittance ticket for a dance while the ship was in port. I felt it belonged with all the memorabilia on HMS Glenearn (no matter how small it COM_PHOTOS/HMS GLENEARN DANCE TICKET.jpegmay seem). My mother was Lindsay Macfarlane (nee Mackenzie). She married in 1945. Well done for keeping the memory alive. Sue G. [The ticket gives us an interesting insight into the normal social activities that continued throughout the war and the support of local communities for our service men and women - in this case a dance on board HMS Glenearn, while in port. Ed.]


This account was written George Downing who served on HMS Glenearn. It was edited for website presentation by Geoff Slee and approved by the author before publication with later additions of photographs and maps.

News & Information

Photo of single poppy.About Us

Background to the website and memorial project and a look to the future; plus other small print stuff and website accounts etc. Click here for information.

Photo of single poppy.

Featured Links; Combined Ops Heritage; 40 D Day Stories & Combined Operations Jigsaw Challenge


Photo of single poppy.Remember a Veteran

Pay a personal tribute to veterans who served in, or alongside, the Combined Operations Command in WW2 by adding their details and optional photo to our Roll of Honour or They Also Served pages on this website, which include the Combined Operations prayer.

Facebook button.


Visit our Facebook page about the Combined Operations Command in appreciation of our WW2 veterans. You are welcome to add information, photos and comment or reply to messages posted by others.

Photo of single poppy.Events and Places to Visit

Organisers: Reach the people who will be interested to know about your Combined Operations or war related event by adding it to our  webpage free of charge. Everyone else: Visit our webpage for information on events and places to visit. If you know of an event or place of interest, that is not listed, please let us know. To notify an event or place of interest, click here. To visit the webpage click here.

Photo of single poppy.Find Books of Interest 

Search for Books direct from our Books page. Don't have the name of a book in mind? Just type in a keyword to get a list of possibilities... and if you want to purchase you can do so on line through the Advanced Book Exchange (ABE).

Photo of single poppy.Combined Operations Handbook (Far East)

The handbook was prepared for Combined Operations in the Far East. It illustrates the depth and complexity of the planning process necessary to ensure that the 3 services worked together as a unified force.

Photo of single poppy.New to Combined Ops?

Visit Combined Operations Explained for an easy introduction to this complex subject.

Copyright © 2000 to 2022 inclusive [www.combinedops.com.] All rights reserved.